Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A LITTLE TASTE OF HOME: We (Sandy, Katie, Terry and me) flew from Singapore to Langkawi. The Changi airport in Singapore was a breeze. It also led to another heart-stopping tourism moment. As we wheeled our way through Terminal 2, Sandy spotted a welcome sight--a Dunkin' Donuts. We took the obligatory picture (right). It was about the last thing I expected to see here. I'm not sure why. It's the biggest coffee-selling chain in the world, I think. (Starbucks are omnipresent.) Back to "last things I expect to see." Seeing someone in a Red Sox jersey is the next challenge. Heck, a baseball cap will suffice.
Langkawi (an island on the northwest fringe of Malaysia) is totally new to me. About all I know about Malaysia comes from some Somerset Maugham stories and the descriptions of the Japanese advance down the peninsula in 1941-42 as described in Singapore Burning. Clearly, I need some updated information.

WHAT'S MORE WORRISOME THAN FINDING A (NON-HUMAN) SLUG IN YOUR BED? I guess it's NOT finding the slug. So, I guess it's good news that we found the slug in the bed in Langkawi this morning. A little disturbing. But, we found it. And, pay attention New Yorkers, it wasn't a bed bug. It has gone to a better place. I flushed it down the toilet.

LOBSTER FOR BREAKFAST: Breakfast included this treat, some Lobster Hash. With a poached egg on top. It was absolutely delicious. More specifically, it is called Tanjung Rhu Spiny Lobster Hash. The first two words honor the nearby beach, a two-mile long sandy stretch that is known for its seclusion and its casuarina trees. It's bordered by some uninhabited islands on one side and limestone caves on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment