Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday, March 5, 2011

IT'S NOT NEW ORLEANS, AND IT'S NOT TUESDAY, BUT THAT DOESN'T KEEP SYDNEY FROM HAVING A MARDI GRAS PARADE; Trying to fend of jet lag, Sandy and I staggered around downtown Sydney on the late afternoon of March 5. We came across a bevy/flock/band of angels who gathered at an outdoor plaza before flapping off to the parade site. This is one of the biggest gay-pride events in the world, according to Wikipedia. Officials expected more than 100,000 to 300,000 people to turn out to watch the parade, which is expected to include about 8,500 marchers. At big issue in Australia now is same-sex marriage. That could be a theme for this group of marchers.

A BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY: I may be in Sydney now, but Singapore's on my mind. More specifically, Club Street, which used to be the home for numerous Chinese community clubs (hence, the name). It's very close to Chinatown and is now known for its trendy bars, restaurants and cafes. I came across one that's FOR RENT. It's part of the green building in the photo, which I took on Friday March 4. Think about it. Come on down! I don't know the cost. I have no contact number. I don't know it it's a turn-key operation or a total rebuild. Don't tell Sandy, but what if we stayed here longer than four months. How about a nice American business venture? Wouldn't a Dunkin' Donuts look good right there?

No comments:

Post a Comment